To remind us, here’s the roadmap:
- v1.2 – The 2017 version of the rules
- v1.2.1 – A copy-paste of the 2017 version with some cleanup and minor fixes.
- v1.2.2 – We are here. Significant core mechanics changes, rules reorganization, scenario rewrite
- v1.2.3 – Planned balance/lore accuracy pass.
Not a whole lot of things have changed in the rules, but there are some infrastructure improvements. For example, I’ve automated the generation of unit cards!
The different orientations exist primarily to differentiate the ship types, and to provide some spatial correlation between Capital Ships and Squadrons Embarked upon them, i.e. you can stack up Squadron cards beneath a Capital Ship to show the Embarked state. You can find all the cards here:
First off, there’s the big list of changes from 1.2.2 RC1:
The official 1.2.2 release just addresses some pretty minor stuff:
- Concentrated Fire now offers a Flex Die with an [N] and a reroll at [D+] on the Skill Test, to speed things up and remove more dice rolls.
- Assault can be driven off with a [T+], as Assault is pretty strong.
- Armor isn’t used against Assault or Bombing.
- Critical Hits can now also damage Defense, Sensors, and Thrusters
- Damage now has an explicit order of resolution to avoid ambiguity.